Monday, January 2, 2012

Sambhar and Aloo ka Paratta

Hey "idli dosa" come here ... shouted the final year Senior at me as i was making my way into my Hostel Room. Bloody "idli dosa" hm-mm for 2 idlis these buggers gulp down barrel full of sambar and chutney, then this does not come to their heads, i murmured to myself.
My Name is "Muthulingam Idliangam Doraiswamy" as this did not get into their vocal chords, the seniors decided that it would be better to call me "idli dosai". Well flashback time, i was born in a small village called udalikotai, near Madurai in Tamil Nadu. My Appa "dad" worked for TNEB "Tamil Nadu State Electricity Board". i did till my 12th in Madurai, having grown up in the life of a small town. Watching Rajni movies along with coffee and Onion Samosas, meant the world to me. Sun TV used to be the national channel at home, conversing in English was a rarity amongst friend, and if and when somebody did attempt to speak in English, the guys in the neighborhood would make fun of him, by addressing him as "PETER" which symbolized as though the person is born in England and is a relative of Queen Elizabeth.
I was good in studies, and as in every Indian household my parents wanted me to study in IIT. i had heard tales of IIT, the rigorous study schedule, the pressure, the ragging which was once was told me by my friends elder brother who did his mechanical in IIT guindy. Of course of all the above Girls, i had heard the girls coming in were not only brilliant but were BEAUTTTTTYYYY with Brains. I made up my mind that i would follow suite and study in IIT Guindy. The IIT entrance results had come i had made it to the counseling, i had a tough Group Discussion i said to myself damnnnn, now i have to go to MIT only, MIT "Muthulingam Institue of Technology" near dindigul, well this is a smaller town than Madurai.
The Results got announced, i decided it was no use to look up as i was sure, i was not going to make the cut. Appa came to me and beta take a look, who knows god may have other plans. I decided to take the plunge, i dragged myself to the nearest browsing center in Madurai, the browsing center boasted itself of 64kbps speed. i settled myself on a four legged chair, somehow i got a feeling that people go to their resting place in a four legged coat, i would be heading in a chair. i entered my Roll Number, and waited for eternity, then after ages together the final page displayed. "CONGRATULATIONS WELCOME TO IIT" the page roared. Yessssssssssssss i jumped up in joy i had made it to IIT, then suddenly i realized the resolution in the screen was more, i dragged the side bar to the left, and to my horror i missed the last word after IIT, it was "IIT DELHI"
"Aiyooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ena kodume idhuuuuu" subtitles "Oh God why this Torture" i could not believe myself, i have got into my dream institute but delhi, damnnn nor i knew English that well nor i knew Hindi, the latest Hindi Movie that i ever saw was Sholay, which i felt was produced by not Ramesh Sippy but by Dhheere Dheere Darshan, i meant Doordarshan.they had the absolute rights over this movie, i did not know what to do, my dream of also getting a girl friend in IIT was also now down in the dumps, i was almost like dark choclate and the girls in the North resembled Vanilla ice cream, i wondered damn how am i going to come out of this rut. i cant even lie to my dad, as the appointment letter would come home, and i cant escape from it.
I dragged myself home, the joy of getting selected had vanished, i could visualize myself as the helpless goat which would be feasted by all the North Indian guys waiting for me in Delhi. I reached home, Appa had already got the news that i was through, a friend of mine had checked my roll number also, and informed my home, that i had done it. Little did they realize that i had hit the hammer in my head.
Appa put his hands around my neck, Beta i am proud of you, next week i am taking you to Delhi for your joining. I tried to Smile, it was horrible Where will i get my curd rice, early in the morning these guys would eat samosa for breakfast, and roti aiyooooooo "dry bread", people up in north eat rice as though it is a Temple prasad. Where will i Goooo MURUGAAAAAAAAA......"
I was CLUELESS .....
-Anand

No comments:

Post a Comment